Diploma* Program in Filmmaking
Duration: 1 year
What is filmmaking?
Storytelling is an integral part of human development and films are one of the few formats that use pretty much all major mediums – writing, photography, performance, narration etc. This is what makes filmmakers such good storytellers. They hone their skills in all fields.
A good filmmaker doesn’t just understand his/her role well but also the roles of every other team member working on the project. Keeping this at the core, Virtual Academy’s Diploma Program in Filmmaking offers you comprehensive training across all spectrums of the craft of Filmmaking
This 1 year program curated by the experts from Whistling Woods International comprises of 60 + hours of learning through video lectures, video-based live sessions, offline workshop additions etc held by Whistling Woods faculty along with multiple testing protocols. You also get free access to the extensive library of Masterclass lessons from the legends of filmmaking as well as specialisation workshops held at the Whistling Woods Campus. After finishing the course, you’ll be awarded a Diploma from Whistling Woods International.
If you want to discover and pave a path for your passion for filmmaking, this is the place for you.
Week 1 to Week 5
- What does a producer do
- How to develop a script and procure funding
- The Producers role in Pre-production
- The Producers role in Principal photography
- The Producers role in Post-production
- Taking your film to the audience as a Producer
- Quick tips
- Tips for casting
- How to earn money through YouTube
- How to use social media effectively as a producer
- Filmmaking tips from Indian filmmakers & producers.
- The Marvel studios business model
- Statistics that will make every producer smile
- Prosthetics on low budget
- The walkie talkie lingo on set
- Best online resources for filmmakers
- The business of VFX filmmaking
- Best BTS documentaries for producers to learn
- 5 tips on scouting location
- 5 tips to be effective line producer.
- DIY production design
Week 6 to Week 12
- Introduction to Screenwriting
- Elements of a screenplay
- Character Development
- Scene Design and Dialogue
- Dialogue writing
- Analysis of a short film
- Hero’s Journey 1 & 2
Week 13 to Week 15
- Comparative study of Cinema vs TV
- The role of costumes and makeup in a project
- How to dress a set with furniture and wall pieces to accommodate a script
- How to work on an existing available location
Week 16 to Week 23
- The basics of Cinematography
- Non-Motion Photography
- Video Fundamentals (SD & HD)
- Understanding the components of a Mise-en-scene and their impact
- Motion photography on Film cameras (16mm/35mm)
- The theory of Color
- The study of a Cinematographer
- Understanding music videos
- Understanding non-fiction films
Week 24 to Week 30
- Introduction to film editing
- Edit Shots
- Software Training – How to use Adobe Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer, Davinci Resolve / DIT
- Types of Cuts
- Editing action sequences
Week 31 to Week 35
- Introduction and history of sound in film
- Introduction to Sound Design
- Sound Recording (Part I) and the Recording Chain
- Advanced Aesthetics
- Music in film
- Sound Recording (Part II)
- The role of Sound in Post Production & Mixing
- Introduction to DAW Pro-tools
Week 36 to Week 42
- Introduction to the role of a Director and Film Grammar
- Composition for Filmmakers
- Space and time in Film
- Continuity of Motion
- Misc-en-scene and it’s aspects
- Sound in films and creation of time & space through sound
- Script Development and breakdown
- Directing and working with Actors
- Film Theory & Analysis
- Assisting a Director
Week 43 to Week 52
- Film Analysis
- Live sessions with Industry experts
- Project submissions & assessments
What kind of certification will I obtain from this program?
On successful completion of all the courses included in this program, the user shall be given a Diploma in Filmmaking from Whistling Woods International. You can download the certificate in the form of a PDF or collect a hard copy from the Mumbai Campus
Is there a specific time limit for this program?
The time limit to finish this program is 1 year. However, due to certain emergencies, we can look at extending the tenure of the program. This is subject to approval by Virtual Academy and will be treated as an exception on a case to case basis.
How many hours of study are required to complete this program?
We recommend a study time of 2 to 3 hours per week across the duration of the program for our Diploma Programs
Is there any financial aid available for this program?
Yes. Click here to know.
What are the key topics covered in this program?
Please refer to the curriculum tab on the course page of the Diploma program
What type of learning should I expect from this program?
This program comprises of learning through video-based lectures. You will also be given the transcripts of these lectures. The content is derived from the knowledge base of Whistling Woods faculty and Industry experts along with specific case studies used to explain the concepts and theories. You will also have live sessions held by experts on the topic that you are studying in a particular month/quarter.
In addition to this, a calendar of specialized workshops held through the year at the Whistling Woods campus in Mumbai will be shared with you. You will be permitted to attend a maximum of two workshops in a year.
Are there any assignment or coursework in this program?
There are regular assignments and coursework to be done in this program. We recommend a learning time of 2 to 3 hrs for optimum use of the material in the program
Does the program include live sessions with the faculty?
Yes. The live sessions will be updated as part of the course calendar once the program commences.
INR 160,000 (Inclusive of all taxes)
- No work experience is required to apply for any of the programs
- Applicants need to have cleared Xth grade or equivalent
- All candidates need to have reading and speaking proficiency in English
Key Highlights :
- Extensive mentorship through the Whistling Woods alumni who work in the Media industry and the WWI faculty
- Build a network of similar minded leaners and industry professionals on the platform
- Gain Whistling Woods’s Alumni status and access to the WWI Alumni database to build your network and seek.
- Access to the WWI Mumbai campus for specialized workshops of your choice and specialization. Click to view the Workshop Calendar.
- Over 60 + hours of video content along with regular assessments, peer group assignments and projects
- Live sessions throughout the duration of the program with industry experts and the faculty of WWI
- Access to the masterclass library of Whistling Woods where you can access recordings of sessions / interviews from celebrity lecturers / industry experts for 1 year
- You can pay for the program with a debit / credit card and through Netbanking.
No-cost EMI facility is available for this program. Click here for more information.
On the success of the payment transaction, you will receive a confirmation mail with the order no. and payment acknowledgement.
You will be provided a course login URL within 48 hours of making a payment. Please register on the URL to gain access to the course.
- In case of any issues during payment, please write to us on email@example.com
Complete the program successfully to obtain the Diploma in Filmmaking from Whistling Woods International
- Connect with a wide network of learners & professionals
- Take a step towards discovering the world of filmmaking
* Diploma is subject to university approval